The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Public Theater seeks an experienced Building Superintendent who will be responsible for the daily operation, maintenance and repair of all plumbing, electrical, HVAC, fire alarm, fire suppression, and other systems at 425 Lafayette Street. This position reports to the Director of Facilities & Operations Management and oversees a team of Facilities Assistants.
· Work in coordination with the Chief Building Engineer in planning, and overseeing Facilities Department staff.
· Inspect buildings, grounds, roofs and equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning conditions.
· Conduct periodic general preventative maintenance on the mechanical, electrical, HVAC, fire alarm system, fire suppression systems and plumbing systems. This involves normal lubrication, adjustment, cleaning, replacement of consumable parts (such as filters, indicator lights, etc.), and periodic testing of the equipment. These systems include, but are not limited to; air handling units (including both rooftop and built-up units), re-circulating air systems, water pumping systems, cooling plant and all plumbing system components.
· Respond quickly to emergency situations; on call as needed.
· Perform and/or oversee electrical and plumbing repair and troubleshooting, water treatment and testing for boiler and cooling tower, repairs of doors and locking mechanisms, construction and maintenance of seating systems and lighting systems for theaters.
· Upkeep relevant records of all repair and maintenance work.
· Oversee testing and repairs of fire alarm and fire suppression systems.
· Perform monthly and daily inspections of Fire alarm and Fire suppression systems
· Perform all assigned work so as to ensure the safety of the building's employees and the continuous operation of the Theater.
· Monitor and maintain the building’s HVAC units via the Building Management System (BMS) Controls
· Prepare and maintain fire alarm and fire suppression logs, maintenance logs and records.
· Prioritize service calls and follow-up upon completion.
· Coordinate maintenance efforts with outside contractors and technicians when work cannot be performed in-house. Coordinate contractor, staff and management approvals for work orders that require the use of an outside contractor. Maintains log of work order details.
· Make daily building patrols and ensure that all fire egress paths are clear of obstruction throughout the building.
· Manage and coordinate efforts to deal with emergency situations and inclement weather.
· Develop and implement facility emergency plans, lead evacuations, and act as first point of contact for FDNY personnel.
· Provide building occupants with updates of HVAC, mechanical, water, elevator and other service outages and scheduled shut downs.
· Order parts and supplies as required.
· Respond to staff complaints in the areas of safety, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and environmental needs through both personal contact and work order systems.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Computer proficient, specifically with Microsoft Office suite.
· Handyman skills and responsive for emergency calls as needed
· 2-5 years of experience and a working knowledge of all building mechanical, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry, Fire & Life Safety systems to ensure proper operations and be able to act upon any conditions that are out of the ordinary.
· Required Certifications:
· Q-01 Refrigeration Operating Engineer
· S95 Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems
· S12 City Wide Sprinkler
· P99 Boiler Operation
· F03 Fire Guard
· P98 Fuel-Oil and Storage System
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is a Non-Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and available immediately.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.