Park Square Theatre
Saint Paul, MN 55102
The Technical Director plans and manages the production of all scenery and provides technical coordination of costuming, lights and sound; supports the Artistic Director in producing work that is always exceptional in quality in a highly competitive market; takes a leadership role to help create and support a working and producing environment that is artistically rewarding, welcoming to artists and employees of diverse backgrounds, efficient and safe. The idea candidate is a highly motivated self-starter who knows how to support high theatricality and “big theatre” aesthetics with mid-sized budgets.
Plan and manage scenery production; coordinate and support production designs and technical needs
· Work with the Artistic Staff (Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, Assistant Technical Director and Production Manager) and the Theatre’s leadership team to plan and budget each season’s work and coordinate detailed production/performance schedules
· Collaborate with Artistic Staff and each production’s creative team to develop designs that are creative, feasible for our resources, and safe
· Prep for builds: engineer and draft as needed; schedule and hire labor; order materials and supplies
· Schedule and supervise shop labor (including construction and finishing); assist or build as appropriate
· Coordinate builds and load-ins so that rehearsals can safely move on set as scheduled, technical rehearsals can be fully productive, and scenic and technical elements are completed for first public performance
· Assure the highest safety standards for all direct reports, other staff and visitors in accordance with OSHA, fire inspection and worker’s compensation standards (e.g. air quality/dust collection; auditory safety; fire safety; equipment handling, etc.)
· Maintain production equipment and stock
· Hire, supervise and train: Construction, Change-over and Strike, Rehearsal and Run Crews, Finish and Painting Specialists; Electricians, Programmers and Operators
· Approve and assure accurate and timely processing of weekly and bi-weekly payroll
· Assure timely submission and monitoring of all purchase orders/receipts, reports of all expenditures, and contracting to the appropriate staff members
· Coordinate with the Production Manager and Assistant Technical Director to cover appropriate staff and production meetings; technical and dress rehearsals; previews or initial performances
· Coordinate with the Facility and Events Manager to plan and undertake facility or equipment upgrades and repairs in the on-stage and back stage areas
· Coordinate with the Facility and Events Manager and other appropriate staff to schedule and staff production facility rentals
· Attend and participate in departmental, organization and external meetings, trainings, committees and events as required
· Represent the Theatre and build positive relationships on its behalf within the profession and with others as appropriate
· Other duties as assigned
Park Square Theatre is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. The ideal candidate will have the following:
· Five years professional experience in technical theatre, including experience in a repertory environment and experience with musicals
· Appropriate training and management experience. BA. BFA or MFA in Technical Production is a plus, but not a requirement.
· Experience supporting new play development is a plus
· A thorough knowledge of carpentry, welding and theatrical rigging as well as a demonstrated knowledge and experience of theatrical construction
· Experience of theatrical sound, lighting and video production
· The ability to generate working drawings in AutoCad, Vectorworks, or SketchUp.
· Experience in scheduling, hiring and managing others
· Personal, planning and communications skills that can support both complex processes and diverse fellow staff and artists
· The ability to manage a full-time schedule that incorporates flexibility for evening and weekend responsibilities
Park Square Theatre is an equal opportunity employer committed to affirmative action and a welcoming work environment for people of diverse communities. 0618
Theatre Mission, Overview and Programming
Park Square Theatre is Saint Paul’s regional theatre, serving Minnesota’s third largest subscriber base and largest teen theatre audience. Our artistry, programming, audiences and budget size put us among the top three producing theatres in Minnesota, after The Guthrie Theatre and Children's Theatre Company.
Park Square opened in 1975 in an 80-seat walk-up in the Park Square Court building. With our move to the Historic Hamm Building in 1997, we began our strong relationship with Actors’ Equity Association (AEA), and embraced a leading role as a local producer of new work by living writers including world premiere commissions and important second productions of work in development. We have grown into one of Minnesota’s top employers of local stage talent. We have a strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. We produce in two fully-equipped theaters located in the heart of downtown St. Paul. We work with AEA (SPT6-10 and TYA), Stage Directors & Choreographers Society (SDC) and the Twin Cities Musicians Union for traditional musicals.
Artistic partnerships, from friendly rentals to full co-productions, have become an important part of our business model. With the opening of the Boss Stage, we piloted a 3-year Theatre in Residence program.
Park Square Theatre is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. People under-represented in the Technical Theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
September 4, 2018 -