Originally named the Theatre Masque, the Golden Theatre was built by the Chanin Brothers, opening in 1927 with a production of Puppets of Passion.
The Masque was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp as part of the Chanin Brother’s three-theater complex, including the Majestic Theatre and Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.
When it opened, the Chanins announced that it aimed to be “the home of fine plays of the ‘artistic’ or ‘intimate’ type,” featuring a small 800 seat auditorium.
In 1930, the Shuberts acquired ownership of the intimate venue.
In 1937, the Masque became the John Golden Theatre, making it the third house named after the illustrious theatrical producer following the 58th Street Theatre as well as the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre.
Throughout its history, the Golden Theatre stage has featured the work of legendary actors including James Earl Jones, Vanessa Redgrave, and more.
Numerous productions made their Tony Award winning Broadway debut at the Golden Theatre including Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx's Avenue Q, Edward Albee’s The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?, Terrence McNally's Master Class, and more.